Tuesday, 2 June 2015

Top Ten Books I'd Love to See as Movies/TV Shows

The topic this week is "Top Ten Books I'd Love To See As Movies/Tv Shows" so I had the join in this week -- books being adapted to movies/shows are one of my favourite things (when done right), and I lovelovelove making up fan casts for them. 

So, ones I'd most like to see as movies right now (and I may have mentioned these before at some point -- if so, sorry for being repetitive, I get that way when I really love something)...

1. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein - I would actually want this one to be a mini-series, it wouldn't work as a TV show without changing too much of the story and I'm not sure a movie could properly capture the friendship and all the important details from the story, but a mini-series would be just right. It would be so, so good. Heartbreaking, but good. I'd want them to cast actual English and Scottish actresses though (Freya Mavor would be a great Verity, and Kat Prescott as Maddie).

2. The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons - I want this one to be a movie so bad...although, it's another one that would probably work better as a mini-series, because the book is so long. I think this one actually has had the movie rights sold, but whether anything will come from that...well, only time will tell. But they'd have a real task on their hands trying to cast it.

3. Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas - I don't know what I'd want this one to be. I think maybe a TV show would work best though. But they'd have to cast Celaena so well, because she's not always the easiest character to like and unless she's acted well then some of her personality traits could come across as really obnoxious instead of funny/charming.

4. Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta - This one could be such a beautiful movie if it was done right. And, I'm sure it would be done right because Melina Marchetta wrote the script (the rights have been sold but the movie news has kind of halted in the past 6 months or so). But, they'd have to get such a perfect cast. I imagine it as a movie with an indie feel, beautiful scenery, and an excellent soundtrack.

5. The Lumatere Chronicles by Melina Marchetta - I'm finding with a lot of these that my preference is actually for mini-series adaptations. A lot happens in this trilogy, I wouldn't want anything cut for a movie or changed to drag out a TV series. So, a faithful mini-series adaptation would be great. An epic, high fantasy mini-series.

6. Wicked by Gregory Maguire - I've been struggling to get through this book for a while, but I love the story (and the musical is absolutely fantastic) and it's one I desperately want to see as a movie... I'd want it to be like a mash-up of the book and the musical inspired by the book. I'm not sure if I'd want it to be a musical -- I mean, I lovelovelove the musical, but at the same time I'd like to see more detail, more character development and more of what was cut from the book and if it was a musical, a lot of that would have to be sacrificed to fit in the songs. So, just a movie -- with more of the heart/essence of the musical (the book, so far, has been lacking in that department).

7. The Demon Trappers series by Jana Oliver - I really, really, really want this as a TV show. It would be so good, it has great characters, a great setting and it's one of those books that has an overall plot that could work as a series arc but at the same time it lends itself well to individual episode arcs too (think early seasons of Supernatural, where they have the big season-long plot but also individual episodes where the characters are just doing their job, saving people, hunting things...). Basically, it's one that could be drawn out to provide enough content for a show, without having to change the plot much.

8. The Body Finder by Kimberley Derting - I want this as a TV show. A YA supernatural crime show would be awesome... I can't think of any of the top of my head that are airing right now, so that makes it even better. I think I'd want this one to have a more gritty feel though, like the TV show The Killing...that kind of atmosphere, and not pulling any cheesy special effects to show the supernatural espect.

9. The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton - This book...this is such a beautiful book, and it could make such a heartbreakingly beautiful movie if it was done right, with the perfect writer and the right director. Something like the Practical Magic movie, only not exactly.

10. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini - I have no words that can express just how much I want this to be a movie. The rights were sold but I don't think it progressed any further than that. The authors other book, The Kite Runner, was made into a movie (a good one) but it's this book, this is the one I most want to see, these strong Afghan women and their heart warming and heartbreaking stories.

And I guess that's it. I really hope some of these actually happen.

Later.

2 comments:

  1. Throne of Glass was on my list this week too!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/06/02/top-ten-tuesday-7/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love a couple things with Wicked. I'd like a series based in that universe or a movie that is full on like the book in all it's weirdness. But I'd also like a movie version of the musical, since it's awesome. :) Anything Wicked, really!

    My TTT!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.