Monday, 21 December 2015

In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware

In a Dark, Dark Wood
by Ruth Ware


Summary: Nora hasn’t seen Clare for ten years. Not since Nora walked out of school one day and never went back.

In a dark, dark wood there was a dark, dark house

Until, out of the blue, an invitation to Clare’s bachelorette party arrives. Is this a chance for Nora to finally put her past behind her?

And in the dark, dark house there was a dark, dark room

But something goes wrong. Very wrong.

And in the dark, dark room…

Some things can’t stay secret for ever.
This book is not the kind of book I normally read, thriller/mystery isn't really my genre of choice unless it's got romance in it, but this book may have helped change that. I was craving something along the lines of Gone Girl -- something twisty and addictive and this book definitely delivered on both fronts.

I really loved it while I was reading and it's one of those ones that had me hooked from the start and was rattling around in my head for a good few days after I finished it. I'm in the midst of a major reading slump and it still managed to hold my attention and read it in one sitting.

I loved the characters. I loved that the female ones were written to be interesting instead of written to be liked. I loved that at the root of the story there were toxic friendships, and it showed really well how easy it is to get caught in them and not see them for what they are, how hard it is to get out of them, and how difficult it can be to shake the damage they can have on us even years later.

The plot was really predictable but no less enjoyable because of it. It was easy to guess what was going to happen long before it did--the red herrings, the twists, the back story--but it didn't make it any less addictive to read, I still couldn't stop turning the pages just to get to the specifics of how the things would go down and make sure my guesses were right.

My only issue with the book was that I kind of wish that events from Nora's past had either been more recent or took place over a longer period of time, because it was sometimes hard to empathise with her still being so hung up on this thing to the extent that she was (it's very difficult to explain the part that I mean without spoilers -- the Clare part made sense, it was the rest of it).

Anyway, to sum up: Like I said, I've not read much of the genre so I don't have much to measure it up against, or to pick up on genre cliches, but I really enjoyed it and it was an excellent read for a thriller newbie like me. I'd rate it 4 stars out of 5.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.